Re: [Tails-dev] "Back Up Persistent Storage" dialogue text i…

Author: David A. Wheeler
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] "Back Up Persistent Storage" dialogue text is misleading; here's a suggested alternative
> David A. Wheeler:
>> Hi, I have a minor nit/suggestion for
>> Application -> System Tools -> Back Up Persistent Storage.
>> After using it a bit, I've concluded that the
>> *functionality* works well, but that the text of the dialogue boxes are misleading.
>> Some of its current text suggests that it's updating the OS, not the persistent data.
>> This misleading text might cause confusion for new users, and we
>> don't want them confused when backing up things!

> On Dec 27, 2022, at 4:15 AM, sajolida <sajolida@???> wrote:
>
> These are all excellent suggestions, thanks!
>
> I didn't use or test this utility enough to realize this pretty clear confusion :(
>
> Can you check https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/merge_requests/995/diffs?

Done! I made detailed comments there, I think it's on the right track.

My main suggestion at this point is to consistently
use the term "back up" to back up the Persistent Storage to the backup Tails stick,
and *only* use the term "update" when referring to an operating system update.
Users are less likely to be confused if we consistently use different terms
for different actions. See my detailed comments on 995 for further tweaks
in that direction.

Thanks so much for doing this!

--- David A. Wheeler