[lime] Report of 2022-09-20 meeting

Autore: Ilario
To: LibreMesh
Oggetto: [lime] Report of 2022-09-20 meeting
Hi all!
Here goes the copy and paste of log of the short meeting we had at
BattleMesh v14 in Rome on 2022-09-20.
The logs from the previous meetings are available on
https://pad.codigosur.org/LibreMesh_meetup_dic_2021.

Participants: Cri, Ilario, Sam

     we need to write a page on the website guiding the communities to
write a network-profile - Cri & Ilario will do that

     aggiornare/scrivere lista delle comunità che usano libremesh,
chiedere consenso di metterli in home page:

Comunity mesh network using Libremesh:

     - https://antennine.noblogs.org   d'accordo

     - https://moinho.app/sobre

     - https://villagetelco.org/ (south africa)

     - https://www.redfusalibre.org (colombia)

     - inethi (south africa)

     - ? https://docutopia.tupale.co/s/NuestraRedOrg#

Organization promoting Libremesh:

     - https://www.coolab.org/

     - https://ibebrasil.org.br/

     - https://altermundi.org

     - https://ninux.org

     - wakoma?

     - Librerouter.org

     Promuovere i contatti mastodon di questi gruppi!!

     we have a big problem with the "distance" parameter, now it is 1 km
for 5 GHz and 100 m for 2.4 GHz. There is an "auto" setting for the
ath9k???????????????????????? We have to underline this setting
everywhere.
https://github.com/aredn/aredn_ar71xx/search?q=distance&type=issues we
could have a setting like this: if a positive value is provided, just
use the value; if a negative distance is provided, check somehow if the
"auto" value can be used, otherwise use the absolute value as the
distance. In Aredn they check for the existence of
/sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/$phy/ath9k before activating the auto setting.

For Freifunk communities based on Gluon the automatic distance /
dynack feature is enabled by default (distance = 0 in UCI). However some
communities have experienced issues with using dynack, leading to TX
path hangs (stuck transmissions until resetting the wifi chip)
especially in croweded areas and went back to a static distance setting.

Freifunk Vogtland went first to 3km distance setting and still / again
got TX path hangs and now settled to 1km:

https://github.com/FreifunkVogtland/gluon/commit/86f517054c3ba4f352eee57db29f4d3de3e34f1d
https://github.com/FreifunkVogtland/gluon/commit/a024c9ce6926
https://github.com/FreifunkVogtland/gluon/commit/4f3d4edfe3