[Tails-dev] Tails report for June 2022

Author: boyska
To: tails-dev
CC: tor-project
Subject: [Tails-dev] Tails report for June 2022

TAILS REPORT FOR JUNE 2022 [1]

Here are a few highlights about what we did in May, among many other
things:

    *

Our helpdesk email [2] now has auto-reply (#17935 [3]).
    *

Improved the UX of _Tor Connection_: people that were "exploring" the
interface going back and forth used to find the wrong boxes to be
automatically checked #18546 [4]
    *

We partecipated in Tor hackweek. It was very fun and very useful!

    *

We implemented QR code scanning #18219 [5]. This seems to work, but it
still isn't ready for inclusion.
    *

We added support for Snowflake #5494 [6]. Again, this is a PoC: it's
nice to see it working, but don't expect it to be released so soon.

RELEASES

Tails 5.1 was released on June 4 [7]. It fixed an important security
vulnerability [8], but it also brought many improvements, among which:

    *

Improvements for users who leave east of UTC: _Tor Connection_ now
automatically fixes the computer clock if you choose to connect to Tor
automatically; also, the time displayed in the top navigation uses the
time zone selected when fixing the clock in _Tor connection_.
    *

_Unsafe browser_ got a new homepage, which makes it easier to understand
how to sign in to the local network using a captive portal.

After that, Tails 5.1.1 was released on June 23 [9] as an emergency
release.

METRICS

Tails has been started more than 772283 times this month. This makes
25742 boots a day on average.

Links:
------
[1] https://tails.boum.org/news/report_2022_06/