[Tails-testers] Tails 5.0beta~1 late feedback

Author: 「ヒラテス」
To: tails-testers
Subject: [Tails-testers] Tails 5.0beta~1 late feedback
Hi,
I was pleasantly surprised with the newer gnome experience, nothing seems
to be broken too much.
I am sorry I'm sending my feedback at the end of the testing period,
please consider following for future releases though:

Suggestion #1:

Add two menu items to Tails submenu to switch to Adwaita-dark and back to
original Adwaita for people like me who don't like bright colours.

I'm suggesting something like this:
Applications
- Tails
- About Tails
- Additional Software
- Configure Persistent Volume
- Delete Persistent Volume
- Tails Documentation
- Tails Installer
- Switch to dark theme **
- Switch to light theme **

Not much would have to be invested in this as a simple headless bash
script could do the job:

#shebang
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme "Adwaita-dark"

and

#shebang
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme "Adwaita"

for the later.

'Adwaita-dark' is bundled with Tails anyway and from browsing /r/tails it
feels it's a quite popular question.
It's also very popular nowadays to have UI set to dark.

I know, some things do not look too well currently, some bitmaps like
Tails logo in About Tails window (see attachment) do not look good at the
moment but I believe this is task to tackle.

I am wondering what are security aspects of changing to Adwaita-dark; from
what I remember, browsers can fetch system settings (ie youtube switches
to dark mode when you use dark system theme on some os') but I don't know
if this is an issue with Tails / Tor Browser (I believe it's not).

Suggestion #2:

Logging via systemd is ok I guess, maybe piping the output to symlink at
original location /var/log/tor/log might be a good choice temporarily?

Heck, don't take me too seriously in this regard - it was hard for me to
switch from ifconfig to ip, from netstat to ss and now systemd logging is
giving me a bit of headache as well. It's a progress, nothing is set to
stone.

Thank you,
Hiraeth