[Tails-testers] [Tails-news] Tails 4.25 is out

Author: Tails - News
To: amnesia-news
Subject: [Tails-testers] [Tails-news] Tails 4.25 is out
# New features

## Backup utility

We added a utility to make a backup of the Persistent Storage to another Tails
USB stick.

![](https://tails.boum.org/news/version_4.25/backup.png)

This utility automates the process described until now in our documentation on
[making a backup of your Persistent
Storage](https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/persistence/backup/index.en.html),
which used the command line.

Thanks a lot to David A. Wheeler for sending us the initial code!

It's pretty basic and we still want to do something better in
[#7049](https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/7049), but we
didn't want to wait more because we know that backups are a big issue for our
users.

## External Hard Disk

We added a new entry called **Tails (External Hard Disk)** to the GRUB boot
loader.

![](https://tails.boum.org/news/version_4.25/grub.png)

You can use it to start Tails from an external hard disk or one of the few USB
sticks that used to return the following error when starting Tails:

    Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

# Changes and updates

* Update _Tor Browser_ to [11.0.2](https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-1101).

* Update _Tor_ to 0.4.6.8.

* Add a shortcut to restart Tails when the _Unsafe Browser_ was not enabled in the _Welcome Screen_.

* Add a link from the error screen of the _Tor Connection_ assistant to our documentation on [troubleshooting connecting to Tor](https://tails.boum.org/doc/anonymous_internet/tor/troubleshoot/index.en.html).

# Fixed problems

For more details, read our
[changelog](https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/blob/master/debian/changelog).

* Fix the display problems in the _Unsafe Browser_. ([#18668](https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/18668))

# Known issues

* Remove the guest additions of VirtualBox. ([#18643](https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/18643))

This breaks the support for mouse pointer integration, shared folders, and
shared clipboard.

The VirtualBox guest additions are badly maintained in Debian and not
compatible anymore with some recent updates in Debian. We will add them back
as soon as the packages in Debian work again in Tails.

See the list of [long-standing
issues](https://tails.boum.org/support/known_issues/index.en.html).

# Get Tails 4.25

## To upgrade your Tails USB stick and keep your persistent storage

* Automatic upgrades are broken from Tails 4.14 and earlier.

Follow our instructions to do an [automatic upgrade from Tails 4.15, Tails
4.16, Tails 4.17, or Tails
4.18](https://tails.boum.org/doc/upgrade/error/check/index.en.html#4.18).

* Automatic upgrades are available from Tails 4.19 or later to 4.25.

You can [reduce the size of the
download](https://tails.boum.org/doc/upgrade/index.en.html#reduce) of future
automatic upgrades by doing a manual upgrade to the latest version.

* If you cannot do an automatic upgrade or if Tails fails to start after an automatic upgrade, please try to do a [manual upgrade](https://tails.boum.org/doc/upgrade/index.en.html#manual).

## To install Tails on a new USB stick

Follow our installation instructions:

* [Install from Windows](https://tails.boum.org/install/win/index.en.html)
* [Install from macOS](https://tails.boum.org/install/mac/index.en.html)
* [Install from Linux](https://tails.boum.org/install/linux/index.en.html)

The Persistent Storage on the USB stick will be lost if you install instead of
upgrading.

## To download only

If you don't need installation or upgrade instructions, you can download Tails
4.25 directly:

* [For USB sticks (USB image)](https://tails.boum.org/install/download/index.en.html)
* [For DVDs and virtual machines (ISO image)](https://tails.boum.org/install/download-iso/index.en.html)

# What's coming up?