Re: [Tails-dev] An outside of the box proposal re persistenc…

Author: alienpup
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] An outside of the box proposal re persistence backups
intrigeri,

Just an update to share that I:

- created a new Tails flash drive with persistence
- converted the new persistence to btrfs
- booted my usual Tails flash drive and backed up it's persistent volume to the newly created Tails drive
- installed btrfs-progs on the new Tails drive

At this point, everything about this btrfs persistence volume appears to work normally. I can create subvolumes there and snapshot them. Tails appears happy and, from a user's perspective, nothing appears to have changed.

Instead of creating a folder named "Persistent", a production-ready Tails with btrfs could create a subvolume named "Persistent". Snapshots of this subvolume would then capture the state of the user's data at modest cost to storage space. Backing up the user's data would involve a Tails backup drive and one btrfs send / receive operation*.

I intend to put some miles on this new Tails btrfs flash drive.

regards,
alienpup

* Using snapshots, a single Tails "backup" drive could accommodate as many backups as space permits.