Re: [Tails-dev] Add simple GUI to back up persistent volume …

Author: intrigeri
To: dwheeler, tails-dev
New-Topics: [Tails-dev] An outside of the box proposal re persistence backups
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Add simple GUI to back up persistent volume (attached)
Hi David,

David A. Wheeler (2021-07-22):
> All: Some Tails users (such as journalists in certain countries)
> will want to use a persistent volume, yet there's no simple GUI to
> back up the persistent volume. That's a problem; all media fails
> eventually. Many users are not comfortable using a command line (the
> current solution).

Indeed.

Here's the current state of our thoughts and research on this topic:
https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/blueprints/-/wikis/backups

> Below are 2 short files that add a simple GUI to back up the
> persistent volume.

Thanks!

If I understood correctly, the data is copied to another, pre-existing
(and already unlocked & mounted) Tails Persistent Storage, i.e.
the scripts add a GUI on top of our current command line instructions:
https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/persistence/backup/

The good news is that this is entirely compatible with the design we
want to implement eventually (possibly next year).

To me this would be a good incremental improvement over our current
instructions.

@sajolida, what do you think?

I did not check how close the scripts are to somewhat we
could integrate.

Cheers!