Re: [Tails-dev] Proposal: migrate our public chat rooms to a…

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: intrigeri
À: tails-dev
Sujet: Re: [Tails-dev] Proposal: migrate our public chat rooms to another friendly XMPP server (#17956)
Hi,

ignifugo (2021-07-19):
> On 19/07/21 14:17, intrigeri wrote:
>> ignifugo (2021-07-19):
>> In the future, I would be grateful if you could do minimal fact
>> gathering, before you express such judgments: as you can see above,
>> since you did not do that, facing public accusations, I felt urged to
>> do that homework myself, which I find unfair.
>
> yes, you are agree. I have to put more attention to search information
> in the gitlab. In general. It's true.

Well, in this case, what I meant with "minimal fact checking" is
reading the email thread you're replying to, and following the links
it contains. To be clear, I don't expect anyone to *search* for such
information when it's my job to make it readily available :)

> sorry that I bothered you.

Thanks! I appreciate this.

[slightly reordering quotes to answer similar topics in 1 single
place: ]

> My opinion was related to "replace XMPP with..." and I thought from your
> tone (so probably really opinable, sorry), that there was a concrete
> plan to drop xmpp and you feel unhappy to lost time now deciding on xmpp
> platform because we have to drop soon. But is not the real future... and
> present.
> […]
> Ah, ok so drop XMPP is not in the possibility and not in a short future.
> it is?
> […]
> So we are choose again for a long time," a solid public platform for
> xmpp chat "...

There's no concrete plan indeed. We did not have this conversation yet
so nobody can tell for sure if/when we're going to migrate away from
XMPP (altough if we pick systemli.org, this does tip the balance quite
a bit — see below). I personally wish we'll migrate both our public
and internal chat rooms away from XMPP within a year or 2, which
indeed makes me want to spend the least possible amount of work on
picking the XMPP server we'll migrate to next week: I need my work to
be meaningful to me.

> to clarify I think that you put a lot of attention to record every step
> and I appreciated a lot you in this.

:)

> Or 2) move to systemli.org .. that:
> […]
> - a nice an running service xmpp :P

… for another couple years but maybe not much longer ⇒ sooner or later
this will give us a deadline to migrate away from XMPP (unless we pick
another server again, but please let's not do that again in 2 years!),
which IMO is a benefit, but I would understand if some other people
saw it as a drawback.

> I'm available to start test on this.

Great! If you or someone else wants to test this by the end of the
week, you need to be aware that one needs a systemli.org account to
create a chat room (MUC) on their server.