[Tails-dev] Proposal: Core Workers are responsible for simpl…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] Proposal: Core Workers are responsible for simplified Monthly Reports
Hi, list!

Deadline: 2021-05-17

In February there was a discussion about "The future of monthly reports, 2021 edition", which didn't really reach a satisfactory resolution. So among the Core Workers we took it upon us to have a look at how to improve the situation.

We still think these reports are important to connect with the rest of the world, especially with other projects we have relationships with (e.g. Debian and the Tor Project) so we don't want to drop them. But we think we can lower the bar quite a bit: now that all Tails' teams write monthly reports, let's make the Monthly Report into a summary of these reports by including the highlights we think are most important for "outsiders". In other words, it will be a copy-paste job with no need for creative writing. Of course, if someone wants to write something special that will be welcome, but the point is to make the baseline very cheap.

Furthermore, we propose that one Core Worker (on a rotating schedule) is responsible for each report, to make sure someone will do the job, but also for practical reasons since they all have the commit bit and can publish these reports. But volunteers are still just as welcome as before!

In the long-term we want to offload this task completely to the planned new Administrative/Managerial hire, but that is at least a year away.

Are you comfortable with us trying this? If so, we'd like to start trying this for the May report, starting with me as the one responsible for publishing it around mid-June.

Cheers!