[Tails-dev] Tails 4.19~beta1 postponed (and what about 4.19~…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] Tails 4.19~beta1 postponed (and what about 4.19~rc1?)
Hi,

As you might have noticed, 4.19~beta1 (for the Tor Launcher replacement) that was planned for release yesterday is not out yet. The explanation is:

* I was supposed to prepare it, but I've been sick this week and haven't been able to put in the needed hours
* We found some last-minute issues we'd ideally like to be fixed

Also, as you might have seen elsewhere, Mozilla just pushed all releases one week into the future, which in particular means that 4.19 also will be released a week later than planned, so we actually have a bonus week and can afford to postpone. In other words, if we release 4.19~beta1 on Thursday, 29 April, we'd give users the same amount of time as before. I think we can do it earlier than that next week, on Tuesday, April 27.

But then there would only be a bit more than a week until 4.19~rc1, which feels like a waste. So I propose we postpone it a week, until April 13. In summary, users will then have two weeks to test the beta (and we to fix the problems) until the RC, and then they have a bit more than two weeks to test it before the final release.

tl;dr:

Proposal:
* Tails 4.19~beta1 is postponed from 2021-04-22 to 2021-04-27
* Tails 4.19~rc1 is postponed from 2021-05-06 to 2021-05-13

What do you think?

Cheers!