[Tails-dev] RM sprint report, November 2020

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] RM sprint report, November 2020
Hi,

earlier this month, the Release Managers team had a 4-days sprint
focused on streamlining our release process. This need was identified
about a year ago, when we learned we had to switch to a 4-weeks
release cycle.

anonym is currently (and bravely) using the — mostly untested so far —
output of our work for 4.13. Fingers crossed! We'll see how much we've
improved things in practice, and from there we'll be able to identify
what the next biggest problems are.

Here's what we did during that sprint.

We started by going through the entire release process doc, trying to
keep our minds open, and looking for issues such as:

- Do we really need to do this? Is the benefit worth it?
- Do we really need to do this _during the release process_?
- Could we automate this?
- Does this cause unreasonable stress?
- How do we follow this doc in practice? e.g. undocumented tricks
that every RM is using for convenience's sake,
but in a slightly different manner

Then we fixed most of the issues we had identified:

 - Streamlined RM configuration and environment management (!245)
 - Streamlined UDF signing to avoid typing a passphrase dozens of time
   (and the stress that goes with mistyping)
 - Triaged our manual test suite, dropped lots of tests with
   unreasonably high cost/benefit ratio
 - Automated Tor Browser WebRTC tests (#10264)
 - Updated plans to automate remaining manual tests
   https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/10250
 - Moved long shell snippets to scripts, so that commands can always
   be copied'n'pasted as-is and work the same regardless of what
   interactive shell, and shell configuration, the RM is using (!234).
 - Automated custom APT repo operations so the release process
   can directly call the relevant scripts, instead of the RM having to
   constantly go back'n'forth between the release process doc and
   the custom APT repo doc (!236)
 - Moved to build-time the check for installing custom VeraCrypt package
 - Moved to GitLab CI the check for APT snapshots expiration date
 - Automated:
    - removing UDFs for never released versions (!239)
    - generating email to manual testers (!237)
 - Cleaned up cruft in our custom APT repo, wrote tooling to automate it,
   and set up a process to do this regularly

Finally, we filed issues for remaining problems that we know how to
fix, but that are currently blocked by other work:

- Regularly import updated PO files from Transifex
https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/18002
- Regularly merge master branch into stable → devel
https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/18003

Cheers!