[Tails-dev] Experiment started: GitLab CI (tails/sysadmin#17…

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
CC: tails-sysadmins
Subject: [Tails-dev] Experiment started: GitLab CI (tails/sysadmin#17740)
Hi,

Tails system administrators are currently experimenting with GitLab CI
for some quality assurance checks that don't require building or
booting Tails images:

- https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/sysadmin/-/issues/17740
- https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/pipelines

Experimental
============

Please consider this work as experimental and don't rely on it for making
decisions. In particular:

- Don't trust the CI runners. As a consequence, don't trust the results of
CI pipelines.

- Don't rely on the CI runners being in working shape.

*Why?* Because the CI runner we are using at the moment is running on a test
infrastructure, that's not managed in the same way as our production
infrastructure. For example, it is not automatically monitored, and security
updates are be consistently applied in a timely manner.

We will let you know once our GitLab CI setup is in production.

Feedback and patches are welcome
================================

Please give feedback and input about this topic to Tails sysadmins:
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/working_together/roles/sysadmins/#communication

For example, you can propose new tests that we could run on GitLab CI.
Please explain what the expected benefit would be for your work or for Tails
users: this will help us prioritize our work.

Finally, you can send merge requests that improve the existing jobs
or add new ones:
https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/blob/stable/.gitlab-ci.yml

Thanks for your patience,
cheers!