Re: [Tails-dev] Fixing Torrent files for 4.9

Author: Cyril Brulebois
To: The Tails public development discussion list
CC: tails-rm
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Fixing Torrent files for 4.9
emma peel <emma.peel@???> (2020-07-29):
> I am not a master (no logs, no masters!) but:
>
> In my experience you can
>
> - download a torrent to a location
> - stop it (without deleting the contents)
> - start another torrent with the same file names

This seems to work just fine with rtorrent indeed. My download tests
(checking download starts) were stuck at 99% and suddenly finished when
I replaced the Torrent files (without touching the temporary files from
the old Torrent files).

> I have tried adding the files to my torrent download folder with scp,
> but when rehashing i could not convince the app they were the correct
> file.

Right, the initial Torrent files were referencing the wrong files (due
to the signing issues I encountered), so feeding your client the right
files wouldn't be enough to convince it you had the buggy files it was
expecting…

Following a green light via tails-rm@ (thanks), I've regenerated the
Torrent files without resigning anything, replaced the Torrent files on
our bittorrent server, and updated them on the website as well:
https://tails.boum.org/torrents/files/
https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/commit/fef8cd8a4a9f390e20d4e3039ea22c4d6b3c0a5d

Hopefully that's it for 4.9… Maybe we should make sure downloading over
bittorrent finishes, and not only starts? (In that case, please file a
ticket against the release process doc.) Nowadays I'd imagine it would
be easier to do so than during the many releases where Torrent seeding
was broken…

Sorry for the hassle.

Cyril 'kibi' Brulebois (ckb@???)