[Tails-project] Tails report for May 2020

Autore: intrigeri
To: tails-project
CC: tor-project
Oggetto: [Tails-project] Tails report for May 2020
Hi,

here's the Tails report for May 2020:

    https://tails.boum.org/news/report_2020_05/

For convenience's sake, I'm attaching a simplified
HTML version.

Cheers!

Tails - Tails report for May, 2020

Tails report for May, 2020

2020-06-11

    Releases

    Code

    Documentation and website

    User experience

    Hot topics on our help desk

    Infrastructure

    Funding

    Outreach

    On-going discussions

    Translations

    Metrics

We stand in solidarity with Black people around the world. No justice, no peace.
Please be safe while protesting and also when communicating online.

Releases

Tails 4.6 was released on May 5.
Tails 4.7 was released on June 2.
Tails 4.8 is scheduled for June 30.

The following changes were introduced in Tails:

Update Tor Browser to 9.0.10.
Add support for Universal 2nd Factor USB security keys.
Configure persistent volume, Tails documentation, WhisperBack Error
Reporting, and Tails Installer are now in the submenu of
Favorites applications.
Change the input method for Japanese from Anthy to Mozc.

Code

Onboarded a new maintainer for our Debian packages. Welcome
nodens!
Fixed a bug that often broke the Additional
Software feature.

Documentation and website

Published a job offer for a technical writer.
This is a paid offer for self-employed freelancers.
Released new Home and About pages. Drawings are by
Andrés Fernández Cordón.

Documented how to include screenshots when reporting an error.
Documented how to import OpenPGP
keys from the Files
browser. (#17183)

User experience

Discussed the UX implications of dropping our time sync
hacks.
Discussed possible strategies around the degrading state of the Passwords and Keys
utility.

Hot topics on our help desk

We saw more problems for Mac computers this month, some users could not use their keyboard and touchpad, and others could not start Tails. If you plan to use a laptop for Tails, try to test it before buying it.
Many Electrum users had to restore their wallet as explained in our documentation.
Some ATI Radeon cards have problems to start Tails 4.7.

Infrastructure

Completed our migration to GitLab.
Onboarded kibi and emmapeel in the team maintaining our pool of
mirrors.

Funding

Received an invitation to submit a full proposal to the OTF Core Infrastructure
Fund to
improve the user experience of connecting to
Tor and using Tails to circumvent
censorship.
Improved how corporate donation matching programs and Benevity are
explained on our Donate page. (#17698)

Outreach

We are discussing
a proposal
to make Tails' presence in the
Fediverse official.

On-going discussions

We are sharing feedback and tips about using GitLab.

Translations

All the website

de: 30% (1988) strings translated, 13% strings fuzzy
es: 47% (3072) strings translated, 8% strings fuzzy
fa: 22% (1474) strings translated, 13% strings fuzzy
fr: 84% (5415) strings translated, 8% strings fuzzy
it: 28% (1808) strings translated, 10% strings fuzzy
pt: 22% (1418) strings translated, 9% strings fuzzy

Core pages of the website

de: 50% (1041) strings translated, 21% strings fuzzy
es: 77% (1585) strings translated, 10% strings fuzzy
fa: 20% (415) strings translated, 15% strings fuzzy
fr: 83% (1709) strings translated, 10% strings fuzzy
it: 50% (1043) strings translated, 20% strings fuzzy
pt: 39% (815) strings translated, 14% strings fuzzy

Metrics

Tails has been started more than 981 624 times this month. This makes 31 665 boots a day on average.

How do we know this?