[Hackmeeting] Fwd: [hackademia] New Book: Incorporating the …

Author: isi
To: hackmeeting
Subject: [Hackmeeting] Fwd: [hackademia] New Book: Incorporating the Digital Commons
-------- Forwarded Message --------
Date:     Fri, 28 Feb 2020 22:42:51 -0800

Hello everyone,

I thought the members of this list may be interested in my new book,
"Incorporating the Digital Commons: Corporate Involvement in Free and
Open Source Software" (University of Westminster Press, 2020).  I draw
from a critical political economic framework to investigate the
intersection of the digital commons and digital capitalism.  I use three
case studies (Microsoft's history with FLOSS communities, Red Hat's
relationship with the Fedora Project, and Oracle's acquisition of Sun
Microsystems) to illustrate different dynamics between FLOSS communities
and corporations.  Some (most?) of you will likely be familiar with the
case studies, but perhaps you will find something interesting in the
other chapters.

The best part is that Westminster is making the book available for free
via open access.  After all, a book about the digital commons should
also be available as a digital commons.  You can find more information
(and free digital copies of the book) here:
https://www.uwestminsterpress.co.uk/site/books/10.16997/book39/

Thanks!
Ben

---