[Tails-ux] A few UI/UX concerns

Author: duc01k
To: tails-ux@boum.org
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-ux] A few UI/UX concerns
Subject: [Tails-ux] A few UI/UX concerns
This is a low traffic list but there are some UI/UX concerns I've come
across that highlight that Tails still needs some work in this area.

I realise other things take precedence but if the team is concerned with
new user experience some of these might need to be examined.

1) The file information that pops up at the foot of a Files window when
a user selects a file or folder will obscure the last file in the list
when in List view, sometimes making it impossible to view. This becomes
a problem mostly with long file names. Worse, users can't get rid of
this file info popup without deselecting all files in the list, and this
isn't possible in List view because there are no "free gaps" to click
on. I had this problem recently and I couldn't believe how difficult it
was to gain access to the last file in the list. This was a poor user
experience.

2) The "Folder is Empty" graphic that appears in the middle of empty
Files windows actively prevents drag and drop onto the region it
occupies. I get caught out by this often and have to consciously drag
items to the free space around the graphic. This is definitely a poor
user experience.

3) The file access restrictions in effect across various aspects of
Tails should be made clearer to the user. For example I had to learn the
hard way that there's no way to get files downloaded from the Unsafe
Browser onto a USB flash drive (I had good reason for using the Unsafe
Browser on this occasion and not Tor Browser). I had another unexpected
difficulty when I tried to save a screenshot straight to a USB flash
drive - I got an error message:
"Unable to capture a screenshot.
Error creating file. Please choose another location and retry."
I understand the security reasons for these things but users should be
educated about filesystem restrictions before reaching these error
messages. Asking me to retry was irritating because, without a visual
clue, it was impossible for me to know which "other locations" would be
suitable alternatives.

Frustrations like these can easily turn off new users and discourage the
kind of everyday browsing that helps mask and disguise the more
sensitive Tor traffic.

Something to think about I guess :)