Re: [Tails-dev] Mounting the Tails LUKS partition on Android…

Author: u
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Mounting the Tails LUKS partition on Android tablets?
Hi!

On 07.12.19 03:08, Teqleez Motley wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 6, 2019, at 6:26 PM, u wrote:
>> On 06.12.19 15:24, Teqleez Motley wrote:
>>> IMO, it would be incredibly practical to be able to mount the Tails LUKS partition on Android tablets.
>>> This might also open up the use of Tails to more purposes/user groups.
>>
>> What are you trying to achieve exactly? Accessing data to share it using
>> apps on the Android device for example? Why do you think this is useful?
>>

> Using LUKS in/for/with Android is useful by itself, regardless of Tails.
>
> For those of us that use both Android and Tails, it would also be very practical to be able to do this; use the same LUKS partition without having to synchronize anything anywhere; just use the same one for both.
>
> I am thinking that it would be possible to kill two birds with one stone here, so to speak.

I'm always a bit wary of such shortcuts, because in my experience this
often leads to forget about benevolence, and thus forget about what your
actual (technological) needs were.

> Why not make Tails useful for this as it is one of the most easy ways to get LUKS on a USB stick without any technical knowledge or ditto setup? It may help spread the word of Tails and its otherwise useful functionality as well.

As explained in my previous email, there are solutions for exchanging
data between two devices (and more).

Any such exchange might compromise your disk, potentially, as Tails
cannot protect you from compromised hardware.

And again, I think it's up to Android (app) developers to provide a
means to decrypt LUKS partitions on Android, not up to devices using
LUKS, such as Tails' encrypted persistent partition, to provide any kind
of technical means to do so. It's thus out of scope of Tails development.

Cheers,
u.