Re: [Tails-dev] Fwd: Converting ikiwiki to hugo

Author: Birger Schacht
To: u, Daniel Kahn Gillmor, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Fwd: Converting ikiwiki to hugo
Hi,

On 11/22/19 11:45 AM, u wrote:
> Hi!
>
> (I'm putting the author of the blog post in Cc:.)
>
> On 21.11.19 21:44, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>> On Thu 2019-11-21 11:49:53 +0100, u wrote:
>>> Oh my! That's pretty cool:
>>>
>>> On Debian Planet: https://bisco.org/notes/converting-ikiwiki-to-hugo/
>>>
>>> With regard to the translation platform and the Linguine effort, there
>>> were a lot of ideas about moving to another static site generator which
>>> would allow us to have translated markdown files instead of po files for
>>> example. This blog post seems to be a very good start. And would build
>>> the Tails website within seconds instead of within 11 minutes :)
>>
>> That does look cool, but just as a heads-up, i recently found a concern
>> with hugo and its reliance on an outdated and unmaintained version of
>> mmark:
>>
>>    https://github.com/gohugoio/hugo/issues/5124

>> Now, it's quite possible that ikiwiki has comparable problems (i haven't
>> looked into it), so i don't want to suggest that tail making such a
>> switch would be strictly worse, but from what i can see, hugo does have
>> a vaguely-bad "smell" to it given this ecosystem stagnation.
>
> Thanks for this link! I don't use Hugo myself, and (I personally would
> opt for another tool) we'd always need such decisions to be made
> collectively anyway :)

Ah, I didn't even know moving away from ikiwiki was considered. I mostly
wrote the script to see how far I would get and to learn a bit about
ikiwiki and hugo.

Regarding the hugo renderer- if I'm interpreting the issues correctly,
the hugo project has now decided to remove mmark support alltogether
(https://github.com/gohugoio/hugo/issues/6486) and only support
commonmark via goldmark.

cheers,
Birger