[Tails-testers] MacBook support

Author: Mario Costa
To: tails-testers
Subject: [Tails-testers] MacBook support
Hello,

I’m reading that the developers are interested in feedback regarding Mac computers with Tails version 4.0.

I have a 2019 MacBook Air Retina. Until Tails 3.16, I needed to disable Secure Boot in order to start Tails successfully. However, it is known that the Linux kernel didn’t have keyboard and trackpad drivers for newer Macs, so I couldn’t use any input method.

With Tails 4.0-rc1 I read that Linux kernel 5.3.2 is included. Since kernel 5.3, drivers for newer Macs’ keyboards and trackpads should be included, so I figured I’d give version 4.0 a try.

However, Tails doesn’t boot successfully and hangs with this message:

[    4.051399] thunderbolt 0000:05:00.0: ICM firmware is in wrong mode: 15

I hope this information is useful and can lead to a method to use Tails in newest Apple computers.

Regards,

M.