[Tails-testers] [Tails-news] Call for testing: 4.0~rc1

Author: Tails - News
To: amnesia-news
Subject: [Tails-testers] [Tails-news] Call for testing: 4.0~rc1
Tails 4.0 will be the first version of Tails based on Debian 10 (Buster). It
brings new versions of most of the software included in Tails and some
important usability and performance improvements.

You can help Tails by testing the release candidate for the upcoming version
4.0!

We are very excited about it and cannot wait to hear your feedback :)

# Changes and upgrades

## Major changes to included software

* Update _Tor Browser_ to 9.0a7, based on Firefox 68.1.0esr.

* Update _Electrum_ to 3.3.8, which works with the current Bitcoin network.

* Update _Linux_ to 5.3.2.

* Update _tor_ to 0.4.1.6.

## Usability improvements to _Tails Greeter_

We improved various aspects of the usability of _Tails Greeter_, especially
for non-English users.

* To make it easier to select a language, we curated the list of proposed languages by removing the ones that had too little translations to be useful.

* We also simplified the list of keyboard layouts.

* We fixed the **Formats** setting, which was not being applied.

* We prevented additional settings to be applied when clicking on **Cancel** or **Back**.

# Fixed problems

* Fix the delivery of _WhisperBack_ reports. ([#17110](https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/17110))

* Dozens of other problems -- literally. For more details, read our [changelog](https://salsa.debian.org/tails-team/tails/blob/testing/debian/changelog).

# Known issues

* Spellchecking only works for English. ([#17150](https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/17150))

To fix it, set `spellchecker.dictionary_path` to `/usr/share/hunspell` in
`about:config`.

* _Unsafe Browser_ tabs have the "Private Browsing" name and the _Tor Browser_'s icon. ([#17142](https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/17142))

* The _On-screen keyboard_ does not allow to input any accentuated char. ([#17021](https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/17021))

* Other [open tickets for Tails 4.0](https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/projects/tails/issues?query_id=279)

See the list of [long-standing
issues](https://tails.boum.org/support/known_issues/index.en.html).

# How to test Tails 4.0~rc1?

We will provide security upgrades for Tails 4.0~rc1 like we do for regular
versions of Tails.

Keep in mind that this is a test image. We tested that it is not broken in
obvious ways, but it might still contain undiscovered issues.

Please, report any new problem to [tails-testers@???](mailto:tails-

# Get Tails 4.0~rc1

## To upgrade your Tails USB stick and keep your persistent storage

* Automatic upgrades are available from 4.0~beta1 and 4.0~beta2.

* You can do a [manual upgrade](https://tails.boum.org/upgrade/index.en.html).

## To download 4.0~rc1

### Direct download

* [For USB sticks (USB image)](http://dl.amnesia.boum.org/tails/alpha/tails-amd64-4.0~rc1/tails-amd64-4.0~rc1.img) ([OpenPGP signature](https://tails.boum.org/torrents/files/tails-amd64-4.0~rc1.img.sig))

* [For DVDs and virtual machines (ISO image)](http://dl.amnesia.boum.org/tails/alpha/tails-amd64-4.0~rc1/tails-amd64-4.0~rc1.iso) ([OpenPGP signature](https://tails.boum.org/torrents/files/tails-amd64-4.0~rc1.iso.sig))

### BitTorrent download

* [For USB sticks (USB image)](https://tails.boum.org/torrents/files/tails-amd64-4.0~rc1.img.torrent)

* [For DVDs and virtual machines (ISO image)](https://tails.boum.org/torrents/files/tails-amd64-4.0~rc1.iso.torrent)

## To install Tails on a new USB stick

Follow our installation instructions:

* [Install from Windows](https://tails.boum.org/install/win/usb/index.en.html)
* [Install from macOS](https://tails.boum.org/install/mac/usb/index.en.html)
* [Install from Linux](https://tails.boum.org/install/linux/usb/index.en.html)

All the data on this USB stick will be lost.

# What's coming up?

Tails 4.0 is [scheduled](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/calendar/) for
October 22.

Have a look at our [roadmap](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/roadmap) to see
where we are heading to.

We need your help and there are many ways to [contribute to
Tails](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/index.en.html)
([donating](https://tails.boum.org/donate/?r=4.0-rc1) is only one of them).
Come [talk to us](https://tails.boum.org/about/contact/index.en.html#tails-
dev)!