[Tails-dev] Tails 4.0 (Buster) release date & branches

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] Tails 4.0 (Buster) release date & branches
Hi,

segfault and I met today; we looked at the candidate release blockers
for 4.0 and it turns out there's no real blocker. At this point, it
looks very much like our devel branch (based on Buster) fixes more
problems than it brings regression.

So there's no reason to delay this announcement anymore:
we'll release 4.0 on October 22, woohoo!

I'll send a release schedule shortly.

Thanks to everyone who helped port Tails to Debian 10 (Buster)
in any way :)

Until 4.0 is out, there's no big change to how our branches are used:

- master is for our live website; it's still based on Stretch

- stable is for critical bugfixes & security fixes that should be
part of a 3.16.x emergency release, if we have to publish one;
it's still based on Stretch

- devel is for anything else

- testing is currently unused; it'll be open once we freeze our code
base for 4.0, when we prepare 4.0~rc1