Re: [Tails-l10n] [fr, de] Delta between Git and Weblate tran…

Author: sajolida
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] [fr, de] Delta between Git and Weblate translations
intrigeri:
>  - It removes one sajolida+intrigeri bottleneck (and we have way too
>    many of those!); therefore, translations go live faster and our
>    users benefit from them earlier.

I stopped merging these since I realize that it's part of the Foundation
team's mission:

https://tails.boum.org/contribute/working_together/roles/foundations_team

« [...] and the translation merge requests sent to
<tails-l10n@???>; »

So, strictly speaking it's not a sajolida+intrigeri bottleneck and other
people from the Foundations team could do it; though I admit that I lost
track of who among the Foundations team has commit bit on tails.git.

>  - In the future, I expect that some consistency checks will only be
>    implemented in Weblate, so translations done via Git could bypass
>    them and introduce errors.

I'm curious about "in the future". The Technical writing team is waiting
for Weblate to be in production *and* have Markdown validation to stop
using DocBook-style CSS classes (#16221).

The upstream feature request has been closed:

https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/issues/2495

Don't we have this already? If you don't know, I could probably do the
research myself if you tell me which version of Weblate we have installed.

> However, the Weblate infra currently only supports translating the
> master branch so for example, when our technical writers will be done
> with the Buster doc update, translation teams who want Tails 4.0 to
> ship with up-to-date translations will have no choice but to use Git.
> I don't know if there are plans to also support other branches.

"Plans", maybe :) To be honest, with the current translation teams still
have tons of backlog to catch up with from years ago before it'll make
sense for them to focus on development branch (except French!) so I want
to wait until they catch up to make such plans.

--
sajolida