Re: [Tails-ux] [Tails-project] Success metrics for Additiona…

Author: u
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] [Tails-project] Success metrics for Additional Software (#15979) and VeraCrypt integration (#15976)
Hi!
> Since September 2019 the graph is going up again and we have 20% more
> boots overall. Yay!

Yay!
> This lead me to reflect on how we promote changes and new features to
> our users. Currently, as a Tails user, I only have 3 ways of learning
> about Additional Software, VeraCrypt, or any new feature in Tails:
>
> - I read every release notes (or Twitter on the day of the release).
>
> I suspect that an important part of our user base either don't take
> the time to read them or uses Tails only occasionally (or frequently
> during certain periods of time) and won't see them at the right time.

This only works if you're visiting the Tails website regularly or if you
are subscribed to the amnesia-news mailing list.

> - I search explicitly for VeraCrypt in Tails or something about
> Additional Software, either online or trying things out in Tails.
>
> - I read the full index of our documentation or somehow stumbled upon
> our doc pages while reading our website.
>
> - Word-of-mouth.
>
> I came to believe that an important part of our old user base has a hard
> time learning about the new things in Tails. When interviewing Tails
> users or talking to security trainers, I often realize that they are not
> up-to-date with the changes in Tails even many months afterwards.
>
> I think we could get more impact from all the great work that we do in
> Tails by communicating more about it and letting infrequent or older
> users know what's new.
>
> The first ideas that came to my mind to improve on this are:
>
> - A "Learn what's new" when doing an upgrade. We would know which
> version the user is upgrading from and could customize the message.
>
> - A "Did you know" message on /home about the changes we did in the past
> year or so.

- We could advertise the amnesia-news mailing list more prominently on
our website.

- We could build a database of trainers that want to receive these news
or invite them to subscribe to amnesia-news.

- intrigeri's idea of advertising upcoming things on Twitter is nice,
too.

But I would also like to stretch the outcome of a previous discussion in
which we noticed that in some digital rights circles Tails is partly
completely unknown (scary!). We really need to change our way of
communicating overall it seems.

Cheers!
u.