Re: [Tails-dev] Tails→Buster: status update

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails→Buster: status update
Hi,

last week, the Foundations Team and our special guest Alan had
a sprint focused on porting Tails to Debian 10 (Buster).

What we did was mostly:

- update the test suite: good WIP that lead to identifying
regressions for which tickets were filed; we're almost there!

- fix regressions identified by the automated test suite and manual
test suite; this resulted in quite some work on the Debian side
(uploads, unblock requests, merge requests, bug reports)

- set up a workflow that allows our team to use merge requests
on Salsa (Debian's GitLab)

- provided guidance and proposals on the Electrum front

- learned how to build GNOME Shell from upstream Git and documented it

- rethought our team's task management in depth, documented new
guidelines and implemented them:
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/working_together/roles/foundations_team/#tasks-management

The blockers we know about for releasing Tails 4.0 are tickets
with priority normal or higher on:

https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/projects/tails/issues?query_id=279

Next steps:

- The Tails community can try nightly builds and provide feedback:
https://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_feature-buster/lastSuccessful/archive/build-artifacts/
In particular, testing our Buster images on various hardware would
be very valuable. We'll probably send a public call for
testing soonish.

- Technical writers can start updating the doc whenever they see fit.
No doubt they will identify some regressions along the way :)

- We'll have two remote sprints focused on Buster: one in May and
another one in June. You'll all be invited to participate!

- We still hope that on 2019-07-09 or shortly after, we can release
a 4.0~betaN and commit to provide automatic upgrades and security
support until 4.0 final is out

- We'll schedule a sprint in September to finalize 4.0 and the
integration of Tor Browser 9.0.

- Our current best bet for releasing Tails 4.0 final is 2019-10-22.