Re: [Tails-dev] Tails vs Electrum

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails vs Electrum
intrigeri:
> sajolida:
>> I think the Foundation Team should follow up on this idea there.
>
> So far, Electrum hasn't been part of our mission but even if we don't
> do the work ourselves, I agree we should at least provide guidance
> wrt. what solution would be acceptable or not for Tails.
>
> I won't have time for this in March but I've added this topic
> to the agenda for the upcoming Foundation Team sprint (early April).

It sounds good to take a decision early April. If it helps I could join
the discussion as well.

If this discussion leads to a removal of Electrum from Tails, we should
also discuss whether we want to document how to use the AppImage on our
website (which is pretty easy).

>> In terms of priorities for the project. I'm personally really not
>> thrilled at the idea of spending a lot of time dealing with this
>> situation.
>
> Yep. That's in line with our decision a couple years ago to remove
> Electrum unless someone stepped up to maintain its integration in
> Tails. And then s7r did step up! (thanks :)
>
>> But I also guess that Electrum users are a good share of our
>> user base and removing Electrum might make us loose users. Bitcoin users
>> are also traditionally good donors and removing Electrum might make use
>> loose donations.
>
> Good point. Data coming from Help Desk suggests that we have quite
> a few users of Electrum indeed, or at least, the ones we have are
> particularly vocal :)

During our donation campaign 27% of our donations were in bitcoins.

These were maybe not all people who would stop using Tails if we remove
Electrum, but at least people having bitcoins and interested in Tails.

--
sajolida