Re: [Tails-dev] Release schedule for Tails 3.13

Author: Georg Koppen
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Release schedule for Tails 3.13
intrigeri:
> Hi Georg,
>
> Georg Koppen:
>> Don't wait on us here for Tor Browser 8.5. The current plan is to have
>> the release, which is scheduled for March 19, be a "normal" 8.0.x
>> release and getting 8.5 out end of March.
>> However, this is mainly bound to having the Android part in shape in
>> time, because 8.5 will be the first major release with Android
>> support. Thus, it might happen that we need to postpone 8.5 a little
>> further into April.
>
> OK, thanks a lot for the update! I totally missed that but I have
> quite some backlog reading to do on Tor Browser team meeting minutes.
>
> I'll update our release schedule and other plans accordingly.
> This relaxes me a bit regarding #27466, #26553, and #28044
> (Tor bugs, not Tails tickets).

No worries about those. We think we don't get those bugs into a stable
release shape for 8.5. They will be 9.0 material if at all. The Tor
Launcher integration (#28044) is planned for 9.0a1 which likely will
ship in April. I am not sure about the other two bugs yet.

> Does this mean that the first 8.5.x release that has *no*
> corresponding 8.0.x will be the 2019-05-14 one?

I am not sure exactly what you mean but let me come up with my best
guess. :)

Assuming there are _no_ emergency releases in between, then the release
planned for 2019-05-14 will be the first stable release picking up
Firefox security bug fixes that will be based on 8.5 while the
corresponding alpha will be 9.0aX.

>> That said, also keep in mind that Pwn2Own will be between March 20-22
>> and Firefox is one of the targets. The actual schedule of exploit
>> attempts is usually revealed at the beginning of the week, so not sure
>> yet when a potential emergency release would need to happen (if at all).
>
> I wish Mozilla made it so they have a scheduled release *after*
> Pwn2Own instead of a couple days before… anyway, thanks, that's
> definitely something we should keep in mind. Added to our calendar and
> to our checklist for building release management schedules, so we rely
> a bit less on you to remind us of such important things :)

No worries, but it's always better having more eyes on this.

Re: Mozilla's release schedule. Yes, that was my first thought as well
and I was actually about to suggest to Mozilla to postpone that planned
release until after Pwn2Own. But I think from Mozilla's side it actually
makes sense to *not* have them together. That way they can have a
meaningful QA period for all the changes affecting the new releases
before Pwn2Own (remember they build already a whole week before
releasing) and get them out under normal conditions to be able to just
focus on the security bugs found at Pwn2Own and act quickly later on.

Georg