Re: [Tails-testers] Partition table change

Author: intrigeri
To: flowa, tails-testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Partition table change
Hi flowa,

flowa:
> Test results for tails-amd64-bugfix_16389-recompute-chs-3.12-20190126T1203Z-6d15ad0625+testing@???:

> I used 3 USB Sticks (Verbatim, Intenso, Transcend) on three
> computers. Two of these combinations were previously running with
> 3.12~rc1.

Thanks a lot for testing all this!

> Neither one worked, when I used Gnome disks to flash the image (on
> Ubuntu 18.10 and/or Tails 3.11). First start failed, with different
> behaviours. One showed a black screen instead of Tails greater
> saying something like "Busybox ... [initramfs] Unable to find
> a medium with a live system".

> Each combination worked, when I flashed the sticks with Windows 10
> Home and Etcher. Tails would start twice and allow to create the
> persistent storage.

Wow, that's really surprising and I don't know what to do out of these
results: both GNOME Disks and Etcher do the exact same thing, i.e.
a dump byte copy of the USB image to the USB stick; so I don't
understand how one can produce a working USB stick while the other
would not. So I suspect something went wrong with the GNOME Disks
installation. Only problem is that I have no slight hint of what it
could be.

I know you've already spent lots of time on this but if you're up to
doing some more tests today, please:

1. Make sure the .img file you've used with GNOME Disks is identical
to the one you've used with Etcher.

2. Erase the target USB stick: in GNOME Disks, choose "Format Disk"
and enable "Overwrite existing data with zeroes".

3. Install the USB image to that target USB stick.

4. Make sure only the USB stick you're testing is plugged in the
test computer.

5. Start from that USB stick and in the boot loader menu, remove the
"quiet" option and add the "nosplash" one.

6. Record the screen (video, pictures, paper and pen, whatever works
for you) and report back.

Many thanks in advance!