Re: [Tails-testers] USB image test --FAIL

Author: sajolida
To: Tails list for early testers, philalethes
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] USB image test --FAIL
philalethes@???:
> I have a laptop Lenovo I’ve used for some years now to run Tails. I
> always boot off of 1 of 3 8 gig drives made by Patriot XT. OS is Windows
> 7 Pro. I have successfully upgraded many times thru TAILS.
>
> TEST:  I downloaded the new TAILS USB image file to another machine a
> desktop AMD Triple Core running Win 10.
>
> Ran Etcher and installed image to Patriot drive. When I booted the
> Lenovo from the thumb drive it got past the boot screen to flashing
> prompt. Once that went dark I never saw the next loading step of the
> three flashing dots. Fail #1
>
> Went back to the Desktop AMD and redid the image to another thumb drive
> by Kingston Data Traveler which I use all the time to move data from
> Windoze machine to TAILS. Booted this from Lenovo: FAIL as above.
>
> Another recent FAIL I ran into was trying to update to 3.11.  I got the
> same problem as above... goes to prompt... then no flashing dots. Just
> stalls.
>
> I upgraded from 3.8 to 3.10.1, then tried to go to 3.11. I tried
> upgrading from .iso image on a 2nd flash drive, and also tried it
> through TAILS.
>
> For me at least, 3.11 is not working yet.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for reporting your findings. And sorry about the troubles
starting on your Lenovo.

I think that you've been hit by a very frequent problem on 3.11 with IBM
graphics cards. See https://tails.boum.org/news/version_3.11/#index2h1

So that's the bad news. The good news is that it seems like the USB
image worked fine for you since you managed to get to the boot screen
and got the same (buggy) black screen.

This will be fixed in 3.12 (but it's not fixed in the beta for testing
USB images).

--
sajolida