Re: [Tails-testers] Test of new install method from .img

Author: sajolida
To: Tails list for early testers, jonathan
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Test of new install method from .img
u:
> Hi Jonathan!

Hi!

I'm not sure you're subscribed to the list so I'm putting you in copy now.

> Jonathan Warriss-Simmons:
>> Computer used: MacBook Air (), macOS Mojave 10.14.2
>>
>> Already had Etcher installed. Downloaded .img, followed instructions, and all worked as expected. Thumbs up!
>
> Thank you very much for your report! Happy to read it worked :)

:)

>> Suggestion - resin.io have changed their name to balena, which may confuse some people if they are looking to independently verify tool.
>
> Thank you, I was not aware of this.
>
> @sajolida: can you check if this is something we should note in the
> documentation?

Indeed. Etcher still mentions "resin.io" in its main interface but the
installation on macOS now mentions "balena".

I created this ticket to track this on our side:

https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/16330

>> Is the plan for Tails to host a ‘verified’ version of Etcher forevermore?
>
> Yes, we will keep hosting this on our infrastructure.

We'll keep updating the version of Etcher that we serve from our
website. But serving it from tails.boum.org makes it easier for us to
track which version of Etcher people are using when installing Tails.

It also avoids having to trust GitHub or Balena to serve a good download
even when they see you coming from tails.boum.org :)

--
sajolida