[Tails-testers] [Tails-news] Call for testing: simplified in…

Author: Tails - News
To: amnesia-news
Subject: [Tails-testers] [Tails-news] Call for testing: simplified installation method
# USB images instead of ISO images

We need your help to test the simplified installation methods of Tails that we
will release with 3.12 on January 29.

The method will be much simpler and faster, especially for macOS users, but
for Windows users as well. Debian and Ubuntu users won't have to install a
specific program anymore and the process will also be faster for other Linux
users.

In short, instead of downloading an ISO image (a format originally designed
for CDs) you will download a **USB image** that is already an image of the
data as written to your USB stick by _Tails Installer_. So no need for _Tails
Installer_ anymore and no need for an _intermediary_ Tails nor a second USB
stick when installing from Windows or macOS.

You should be able to create a persistent volume right away.

# Testing the beta

## Download the USB image

[Tails beta USB image](http://dl.amnesia.boum.org/tails/alpha/tails-
amd64-feature_15292-usb-image~beta1.img)

We don't provide any OpenPGP signature or other verification technique for
this test image. Please only use it for testing.

## Installation instructions

As the new instructions are not yet available on our website, please refer to
the following PDFs:

* **For Windows**

[Download PDF instructions for
Windows](https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/attachments/download/2255/windows.pdf)

At the beginning, you will have to download a program called _Etcher_:

[Download Etcher (portable) for Windows](https://tails.boum.org/etcher/Etcher-
Portable.exe)

* **For macOS**

[Download PDF instructions for
macOS](https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/attachments/download/2254/macos.pdf)

At the beginning, you will have to download a program called _Etcher_:

[Download Etcher for macOS](https://tails.boum.org/etcher/Etcher.dmg)

* **For Linux (all distributions)**

[Download PDF instructions for
Linux](https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/attachments/download/2253/linux.pdf)

## Reporting about your tests

Note that the USB image doesn't make Tails work on more hardware but it might
work more reliably on recent hardware than the _intermediary_ Tails (currently
created using _Universal USB Installer_ on Windows and `dd` on macOS).

Make sure to specify:

* The OS you installed from.

* The model of the computer you started from.

Report your findings by email to [tails-testers@???](mailto:tails-
publicly](https://lists.autistici.org/list/tails-testers.html).

# Known issues

None yet.