Re: [Tails-ux] Tails improvement

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design, 6tem1dex
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Tails improvement
Jean-Marie HURAND:
> Hello,

Hi Jean-Marie,

Thanks for the suggestions.

> Here, 2 attachments :
>
> 1) Solution to start Tails on a computer without USB boot and without
> "Grub".

Regarding "If the machine is too old for the BIOS to start on the USB":
Do you have examples of machines that are too old to boot on USB but
still fulfill the other system requirements for Tails to run fine?

See https://tails.boum.org/doc/about/requirements/.

Because personally, I don't know of any such machine...

> 2) "Unsecurised Browser" issue.

The "Unsafe Browser" in Tails is only meant as a way of logging in to
captive portals and not as a general-purpose browser:

https://tails.boum.org/doc/anonymous_internet/unsafe_browser/

I know it's confusing that it looks like a general purpose browser
without really being one. We want to fix this by having a better
experience to logging in to captive portals:

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/network_connection/

It's also problematic to have so many websites blocking Tor. A solution
could be to make it possible to have a VPN after Tor:

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/vpn_support/

... or to lobby these websites to stop being against privacy.

And also, please send PDFs to the list only when necessary. PDFs are a
format of choice to send viruses and all kinds of attack and many people
won't open them. You will get more attention (and trust) if you write
your text directly in the body of your emails.