Re: [Tails-l10n] Dropping CSS formating for GUI documentatio…

Author: emma peel
To: sajolida, Tails localization discussion, Cody Brownstein
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Dropping CSS formating for GUI documentation
sajolida:

> - For me it is hard to read the lists, specially the differences when only one line changes in a long list, i.e.
>> https://translate.tails.boum.org/translate/tails/license/es/?type=fuzzy
>> The lists can be made fuzzy adding a space before in each line.

Sorry, here i meant 'can be separated', but luckily you understood. I correct here for other people :D

> I see... Then it would be super helpful for me if translators would let
> me know when such things happen. Because I can probably split them into
> different PO strings.
>
> See what I did in d5ad0e8a9a and 3ae262172d.

Yes, I see that the changes d5ad0e8a9a produced on the .po files at 3ae262172d will make this horrible list much easier to translate now. We will just get a new string and the others will remain the same. Pity that many strings are lost, I will try to recover them from the commit.

> Do you want me to break more such lists?

I for sure would like that to happen to new lists. But I am not sure about the already existing lists, what other translators think is better. Maybe they complain about having already translated it...

Making new checks in weblate is quite easy, see https://docs.weblate.org/en/weblate-2.19.1/admin/checks.html#custom-checks there is already a check class and you just have to create a file with the little check in python.

>> Many translators translate class names, as in <div class='next'> becomes <div class='prochaine'>
>
> So limiting the number of CSS classes to the bare minimum would help.

yes

>> I am not so sure about that, I think it is important to add comments and make it as simple as possible!
>
> I don't understand this...
>
> I mean writing:
>
>     **Applications ▸ Tails ▸ Configure persistent storage**

> Instead of:

> But we would still be able to add HTML comments in the Markdown whenever
> needed.

In that case, yes, I like the first better. Markdown seems to be much more understandable.

>> Very frequent
>
> Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

>> I am not so sure about this. I think html gets checked by weblate better.
>
> Ahh... Then I'm not sure about my plan anymore.
>
> To rephrase my question, do you think it would be better for translators
> (and Weblate) to write:
>
>     **Applications ▸ Tails ▸ Configure persistent storage**

> Instead of:

I think translators are less likely to make errors with the first version. But if they do make errors, weblate will be able to spot the html errors better than the markdown ones.

> If we're unsure, shall we keep writing the second way?
>
> (Meta: I created #16221 to track this discussion.)

OK I will add my input there then.... maybe I can find some test checks i was experimenting with in weblate...