Re: [Tails-dev] inclusion of xinput in the main build of Tai…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] inclusion of xinput in the main build of Tails
Hi,

zero identity:
>> And it can't be disabled in the BIOS / firmware setup? Or physically removed?

> That's very much dismissing the general issue and requesting users
> solve this issue on their own. The inclusion of the package the user
> requested would be the ideal solution, I think.

At this point I'm not requesting anyone to do anything: I'm merely
gathering information. Said info was provided (thanks!) so here's
my summary.

I was asking about disabling the problematic device in the firmware
setup because, while not frankly easier than the xinput one, this
option at least solves the problem once and for all, so I think that
investing some time into it would be more appealing, to less technical
users who are affected by this problem, than "run xinput blah blah
every time you start Tails". But I understood this won't work, too bad.

The proposed "ideal solution" does not solve the problem: it only
installs by default a tool that will allow technical users, who are at
ease with the command line, to solve this issue on their own. For such
users, there are two options:

- Either we don't include xinput by default, and then affected users
need to install it once, accept adding it to their Additional
Software, and then on every boot, either wait for xinput to be
started and run a command line, or implement the more automated but
technically involved solution I've mention on this thread last month.

- Or we include xinput by default, and then it's exactly the same as
above, except one can skip the "accept adding it to their
Additional Software" step, which arguably is the easiest one
in the whole procedure for less technical users.

So I don't understand how including xinput by default would improve
user experience substantially.

And since we're not discussing fixing the problem but providing ways
to users to fix it themselves: I suspect the hardest part of this
whole procedure, for less technical users, is to find out that there's
a solution at all, on some web site they trust enough to copy'n'paste
command lines from. So I'll happily document this solution (a xinput
command line) on our Known Issues page once someone kindly shares it.
This way, all affected users can benefit from it, not only those who
know about it already and are requesting xinput to be included
by default.