Re: [Tails-l10n] few newbie questions

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails català, Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] few newbie questions
Hi,

Tails català:
> I'm beginning to translate the Tails web site into Catalan

Great!

> 1.- Every time I open a .po file to translate, a .mo file is
> created. Are they needed? I dont' se any other .mo file in the repo.
> Should I delete them before pushing the changes? It's better just to
> add *.mo to the .gitignore file?

They're not needed and they're already in our .gitignore :)

> 2.- How is the lang link in the upper right corner of the web site
> generated? I see it is there if I write the correct url in the
> browser, but whenever I browse to an untranslated page, the upper
> right link for my lang disappears. Is there a specific file I need
> to translate or to set to have this link in all pages?

You'll need to rebuild the website after adding your language to
ikiwiki*.setup.

> 3.- I updated the iwiki.setup file so it doesn't take so long to
> build the local site. Should I undo the edition before pushing to my
> repo? If I add it to the .gitignore file it will be overriden by any
> pull from the upstream repo (the immerda.ch repo, I use origin for
> my own one at gitlab), isn't it? How do you normally manage this?

For now, do whatever is the most convenient for you, e.g. push your
ikiwiki*.setup changes to your Git repo and you'll revert that once
your branch is ready to be merged upstream.

> 4. Is there a place where I can look for these type of questions, a forum or so?

You're in the exact right place!