[Tails-testers] Testing: My first trial of Tails 3.9~rc1 usi…

Author: Wes Bunker
To: tails-testers
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-testers] Testing: My first trial of Tails 3.9~rc1 using the VeraCrypt Unlocker application
Subject: [Tails-testers] Testing: My first trial of Tails 3.9~rc1 using the VeraCrypt Unlocker application
*_My first trial of Tails 3.9~rc1 for accessing VeraCrypt_**:*

Using a 9 year old HP netbook laptop PC on which I have for a few years
successfully run and updated a few new Tails versions in the past,
installing them to external USB media from ISO disk or using "Tails
Installer" application from my previous USB Tails install.  This
computer is a Windows 7 OS which fully handles various VeraCrypt
functions and boots to Tails on USB 32GB memory stick or boots to Tails
on 1TB HDD.

*_My method of trial_*, steps (i) through (viii) and 2 further repeat
trials' results too below:

    (i) First, Tails 3.6 on 32GB memory stick was upgraded to 3.8 via
    cloning from "Tails 3.8 -- Tails Installer" on my external 1TB HDD .

    (ii) Then the Tails 3.8 on 32GB memory stick was upgraded to 3.9~rc1
    via the method instructed on tailsboum.org site "Call for testing:
    3.9~rc1".

    (iii) Launched successfully the Tails 3.9~rc1 on 32GB memory stick
    inserted in the HP laptop.  (Then I copied 2GB of unrelated files
    from a third media into the Persistence folder on that Tails 3.9~rc1.)

    (iv)  Attached a 5TB Seagate external HDD to the HP computer now
    running Tails 3.9~rc1 OS.  This 5TB Seagate is configured a
    VeraCrypt encrypted device, created with a Hidden volume.

    (v) From the Tails 3.9~rc1 application menu, I launched the "Unlock
    VeraCrypt Volumes" inside the Utilities category.  This opened an
    "*Unlock VeraCrypt Volumes*" panel, in which Tails showed it
    recognized the external HDD VeraCrypt device, seen in the field
    under "Partitions and Drives" named as "/Basic data partition (5.0
    TB) on //Seagate BUP SL/" (/my name of the 5TB Seagate drive device/
    is "/Seagate BUP SL"/). ...I clicked the button there "Unlock".

[I have tried both the hidden volume password and the external volume
password, with the same resulting failure to access either form of the
device's encrypted volume]

    *_Hidden Volume trial access_**
*

    *(*vi) Another pop up panel opens: "*Set options to unlock the
    volume*".  Where, into a field, I enter the _hidden volume_'s
    password.  Left "Remember Password" checkbox and the "Windows System
    Volume" both unchecked.  Checked the "Hidden Volume" checkbox (when
    testing accessing using the Hidden Volume password).

    (vii) Clicked the "Unlock" button

    (viii) Same panel from (v) above reappeared, now with spinning
    circle shown.  Then after a few moments an error panel popped up
    titled:

    *"Wrong paraphrase or parameters" and the text "Couldn't unlock
    volume Basic data partition (5.0 TB)"Error unlocking /dev/sdd1:
    Command-line "cryptsetup tcryptOpen "/dev/sdd1" "tcrypt2097"
    --veracrypt  'exited with non-zero exit status 2: No device header
    detected with this passphrase"*

    *_External Volume trial access_**
*

    Using the _external password_, I got a slightly different error message:

    Title" "*Error unlocking volume*"  Text: "*Couldn't unlock volume
    Basic data partition (5.0 TB)"Error unlocking /dev/sdd1:
    Command-line "cryptsetup tcryptOpen "/dev/sdd1" "tcrypt2097"
    --veracrypt  'exited with non-zero exit status 5: Device tcrypt-2097
    already exists"
    *

    *_Further third trial access_*

*     *Another trial brought me to error panel text (I've forgotten
which password I used this trial, the external or the hidden password):

    Title: *"Error Unlocking Volume"      *Text:*"Couldn't unlock volume
    basic data partition (5.0TB): Error waiting for cleartext object
    after unlocking /dev/sdd1Timedout waiting for object"  with a"Close"
    button on the panel."
    *

Any advice to correct me will be welcome if I'm using wrongly the Tails
3.9~rc1 application *VeraCrypt unlocker*, otherwise I will watch for the
next update or news on tailsboum.org

Thanks for your great Tails systems work!

-Wes Bunker