Re: [Tails-testers] Tails 3.9-rc1 upgrade

Author: intrigeri
To: Hugh Miller, tails-testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Tails 3.9-rc1 upgrade
Hi Hugh,

Hugh Miller:
> I've been running the original 3.9 Beta that was was released a few weeks
> back to test Veracrypt.

Thanks a lot for testing this :)

> As tails has now released 3.9 rc1 I would like to upgrade to it, but found
> no documentation for that. Only how to upgrade from 3.8.

You'll need to:

1. Download the ISO: https://tails.boum.org/news/test_3.9-rc1/
2. Follow our usual manual upgrade instructions, skipping the Download
and verify step: https://tails.boum.org/upgrade/

> Is apt-get available for this: ?

No, this is not going to work and can actually break your Tails.

> As Tails releases newer version every 30 to 45 days upgrading rather than
> complete reload would be more convenient.

We do support (most of the time) automatic, incremental upgrades
between our releases. But indeed, we usually don't support upgrades
from development snapshots such as the VeraCrypt beta. We did not even
give them a proper version number of their own so even if I had time
to, it would be technically impossible to provide such an upgrade
now :/