[Tails-testers] Feedback VeraCrypt support in Tails

Author: flowa
To: tails-testers
Subject: [Tails-testers] Feedback VeraCrypt support in Tails
Dear Tails Developers,

thank you so much for creating this awesome tool! As a regular user, I would like to contribute to this valuable project as a tester. I plan to use Veracrypt to backup the persistent storage to a LAN drive. Here are my results:

+ Started Tails from USB drive with beta 3.9 /Veracrypt support
+ Opened File Browser and connected to a network drive (WD MyCloud) via Samba, that hosts a 250 MB Veracrypt container created with Windows Veracrypt
+ Copied Veracrypt container to Tails Desktop
+ Mounted container in Veracrypt Mounter successfully
+ Detached container in Veracrypt Mounter successfully
+ Renamed container file to test.hc → Icon changed
+ Double-clicked icon to mount, successfully
+ Result: Local files with or without extension hc work.

+ Started Veracrypt Mounter to mount container directly from network
- - Already established Samba connection is not visible in the Choose File Container Dialog.
- - Also it is not possible to open a Samba connection from the Choose File Container Dialog
- - Renamed extension to hc. double-click leads to error message: „Disk Image Mounter - An error occured – Cannot open smb//192.168.x.x/test/test.hc‘ - maybe the volume isn‘t mounted?“
- - Repeating the steps above for FTP connection instead of Samba leads to same result.
- - Result: I found no possibility to mount Veracrypt container directly from network drive

The ability to open Veracrypt containers from network directly, would be a great improvement. Thank you again for Tails as it is now!

All the best

flowa

flowa@???