Re: [Tails-dev] installing a package with double click

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] installing a package with double click
emma peel:
> Would it be possible to install, for example, gdebi, so users can

> - double-click on a .deb file on Nautilus
> - get asked the admin password
> - install the debian package

The major problem I have with this (manual) approach is: users won't
get any kind of upgrade for the installed software unless they
consciously and manually go somewhere to check for upgrades. Bug-free,
fully translated software that never needs to be upgraded is
pretty rare.

The approach we support currently is adding new APT sources in
a persistent manner (perhaps in the future we'll support Flatpak
remotes similarly but we're not there yet). I don't know how well this
support works in practice (due to lack of feedback). But setting up and
maintaining an APT repo may not be that much less work than having the
software in Debian proper. YMMV :)