[Tails-project] Integrity/Privacy Reliability of Tor

Author: William du'Soleil
To: tails-project
Subject: [Tails-project] Integrity/Privacy Reliability of Tor
Greetings:

I hope this won't be out of line (distasteful) to address as a Noob... but
it's the reason I'm here. To try and establish confidence before going
ahead with Tails.

Tails appears to be what I'm looking for (rather than a VPN for blanket
use). Seems good to me so far; from the software dev. and what looks like a
well-established, dedicated community -- but then I read the following
quote attributed to Yasha Levine from his Feb. 2018 book, Surveillance
Valley:

"The Tor Project, a private non-profit that underpins the dark web and
enjoys cult status among privacy activists, is almost 100% funded by the US
government. In the process of writing my book Surveillance Valley, I was
able to obtain via FOIA roughly 2,500 pages of correspondence — including
strategy and contracts and budgets and status updates — between the Tor
Project and its main funder, a CIA spinoff now known as the Broadcasting
Board of Governors (BBG). These files show incredible cooperation between
Tor and the regime change wing of the US government."

Can someone please comment? If true, this obviously must present certain
"compromises" to privacy reliability to Tails also, wouldn't you say?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Yours truly,
~William