Re: [Tails-dev] Please test pre-commit hook for po files

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
New-Topics: [Tails-l10n] Deadline 2018-06-29 [Tails-dev] Please test pre-commit hook for po files
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please test pre-commit hook for po files
u:
> Upon a technical remark, I moved the pre-commit file to
> bin/pre-commit-translation instead. See updated instructions below.
>
>     git fetch tails translation_platform_hooks
>     git submodule update --init
>     cd .git/hooks
>     ln -s ../../bin/pre-commit-translation pre-commit

Doing only `git fetch` doesn't change my checkout and nor creates
../../bin/pre-commit-translation locally.

So instead I did:

    git checkout -t origin/translation_platform_hooks
    git submodule update --init
    cd .git/hooks
    ln -s ../../bin/pre-commit-translation pre-commit

Then I did a dummy change to index.es.po and tried to commit it.

I got the following:

    Project-Id-Version header is not empty for following files:
    wiki/src/index.es.po

    The po files you're trying to commit contain errors. Please fix them and try again.

Which make me believe that you didn't run your new PO file validator on all the current PO files.
If you're adding validity checks to our current PO files it would be nice to also make them comply
with them, otherwise:

- Translators (and mergers) will have to fix them one by one
- Ikiwiki on the production server might not be able to do the automatic "Update PO files"

I'm also curious about what `git submodule update --init` does. Are you using submodules for that?
I'm asking out of curiosity because I don't know much about submodules but I couldn't find spot what
is specific to your work under .git/modules/submodules.

--
sajolida