Re: [Tails-l10n] po4a vs. nested bullet lists [Was: [fa][rev…

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-l10n
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-l10n] po4a vs. nested bullet lists
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] po4a vs. nested bullet lists [Was: [fa][review] updates to farsi files]
> intrigeri:
>> Do you have an example on a page that's meant to be translated?

emma peel sent me another example off-list.

So that bug seems to happen only with nested bullet lists.

Interestingly, each bullet point is turned into a separate
translatable string by po4a when done this way:

- a

- b

- c

- c.1

- c.2

- d

… but not when done that way:

- a
- b
- c
- c.1
- c.2
- d

… i.e. how it's done in the two examples you've provided.

Note that there's a subtle difference in Markdown between these two
syntax styles (the former will generate <li><p> while the latter will
generate <li>). Our current CSS renders them a bit differently,
I don't know if that's on purpose. If our tech writers and website
designers don't take advantage of that subtle difference, one option
would be to make our CSS render the two syntax styles exactly the same
and then convert any existing nested bullet list that causes trouble
for translators into the first style.

But of course it would be nicer to fix the po4a parser for nested
bullet lists. The code lives there:
https://sources.debian.org/src/po4a/0.52-1/lib/Locale/Po4a/Text.pm/#L869