Re: [Tails-dev] Searching documents in an airgap Tails

Author: Loic Dachary
To: anonym
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-dev] Searching documents in an airgap Tails
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Searching documents in an airgap Tails
Hi Anonym,

On 01/08/2018 11:28 AM, anonym wrote:
> Loic Dachary:
>> Journalist using SecureDrop decrypt and read documents in an airgap Tails. I wonder which tools are available to search the documents stored in their persistence.
>
> What about GNOME Files' built-in search functionality [1]? It works well enough for me (although I can imagine it is slow if 1000s of files are involved) so I first would like that answered before proceeding with the rest of your email.

GNOME Files search[1] is based on Tracker[2] and supports a number of formats. Unless I'm mistaken it would require an upgrade to nautilus 3.26[3] to get full text search. Tails 3.3 has nautilus 3.22 and after upgrading to 3.26.2 (from Debian GNU/Linux sid with apt-get install nautilus tracker tracker-extract tracker-miner-fs) it worked with a simple manual test. Even if nautilus is not the best full text search it would be a great improvement :-)

Do you think such an upgrade would be possible ?

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Files#File_indexing_and_file_search_framework
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Tracker
[3] https://github.com/GNOME/nautilus/blob/master/NEWS#L40