Re: [Tails-project] Restructuring our support page

Author: intrigeri
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-project] Restructuring our support page
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] Restructuring our support page
Hi,

sajolida:
> We brainstormed on this with Cody today and came up with a plan to
> improve things.

I like your plan. I'll comment inline below.

> Move "Report an error" as a option to contact us

I don't understand this sentence.

> Could we go even further and say that people who cannot start Tails
> should write us an email and people who can start Tails should send
> us a WhisperBack report?

Sounds good.

> Do we really want to advertise the chat that much?

Probably not. There's very little happening there. Very few users with
a good understanding of Tails help others. Most core Tails people
connect either rarely or never.

> Do we want to make it less visible until it's easy to connect and
> get answers?

Yes.

> Is the chat helpful for people who can't start Tails?
> They would have to install XMPP!

In my experience, questions about problems with starting Tails are
indeed rare there.

> Create a page dedicated to issues starting Tails and link it from
> wiki/src/support.mdwn

… and link it from doc/first_steps/bug_reporting too I guess?

> Inline issues from latest release

We did try to inline inc/stable_*_release_notes at some point but then
we had to revert it due to ikiwiki bugs (#9564, #6907). I suspect that
this part of your plan would reintroduce exactly the same kind of bugs
e.g. on /news. IMO it's not merely an implementation detail, but
rather a matter of taking into account the limitations of our tools
while designing.