Re: [Tails-ux] Phrasing for the graphical interface startup …

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: intrigeri
À: Tails user experience & user interface design
Nouveaux-sujets: Re: [Tails-ux] Phrasing for the graphical interface startup failure (#14521)
Sujet: Re: [Tails-ux] Phrasing for the graphical interface startup failure (#14521)
Hi,

intrigeri:
> I've improved this a bit already. In my test VM, the text now reads
> (on one single line):

> Report a bug (https://deb.li/TailsNoX):
> GDM fails to start with Cirrus Logic GD 5446 [1013:00b8]

I've shown this to a fellow Tails developer and he wondered what he
was supposed to do and whether typing <Enter> report a bug (it won't).
Besides, "Report a bug" is misleading as the URL points to our
documentation about troubleshooting startup problems.

So I think some rephrasing is in order.

Let me first clarify what are the two scenarios I'm trying to help
make possible/easier here:

1. The user visits https://deb.li/TailsNoX, follows our
troubleshooting doc about "Tails does not start entirely" and finds
a workaround for their hardware in there. But this workaround is
inconvenient (e.g. it requires typing additional boot options every
time they start Tails) so the user has an incentive to let us know
about the problem, and then they would follow our error reporting
documentation, that's linked prominently from the Desktop, and
instructs them to use WhisperBack.

In this case, displaying the hardware details on this screen is
useless: this info will be included by default in the bug report
the user will send us later. But displaying the URL is
probably useful.

2. The user visits https://deb.li/TailsNoX, follows our
troubleshooting doc and gets lost or does not find a workaround for
their hardware. Best case, they'll go far enough on the right path
to find the instructions that tell them to report a bug over email
to our Help Desk team, and to include error messages appear when
they start Tails, e.g. by taking a picture.

In this case, the URL is useful: it directly points the user to the
troubleshooting doc, in case they were not following our online
installation assistant or got lost in there. And the hardware
details are useful: we are giving the user exactly the info they
should report us, and nothing more.

So how about this:

Please visit https://deb.li/TailsNoX for troubleshooting, then report this error:
GDM fails to start with Cirrus Logic GD 5446 [1013:00b8]

I think it expresses better the path we suggest the user takes, and
adding "please" helps clarify that this screen is not a widget that
can trigger an action.

Thoughts, improvements?