[Tails-project] Results of the online survey on file storage…

Author: sajolida
Subject: [Tails-project] Results of the online survey on file storage encryption
Hey!

I published the results of the online survey on file storage encryption
in the VeraCrypt blueprint:

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/veracrypt#index2h2

My academic career and statistics classes were very minimal so I might
have jumped to conclusions too fast on some points :)
Please correct me!

I'm pasting here the summary of our findings which includes some good
news for the project as a whole (that's why I'm posting here and not on
tails-ux@):

- Justification of our work:

  - 40% of Tails users are also VeraCrypt users, both inside and outside
    Tails.
  - 60% of Tails+VeraCrypt users only use VeraCrypt outside of Tails.
  - VeraCrypt is of more interest to people who are not using Linux as
    their primary operating system.
  - VeraCrypt is still a reference when people think about encrypting
    files.
  - *« When I move files between Windows and Tails, I have to remove the
    TrueCrypt encryption and copy the files unencrypted to another USB
    stick. Then I have to securely delete the files from the USB stick
    and that takes a lot of time. This is dangerous as an attacker could
    access my files during the process. »*
  - *« I need to be able to open TrueCrypt file containers in Tails in
    order to move files securely between Tails and Windows. Right now, I
    have to copy my files unencrypted between Tails and Windows and this
    is quite dangerous. »*

- VeraCrypt usage:

  - Most of Tails+VeraCrypt users are serious and regular users of
    VeraCrypt.
  - 76% of Tails+VeraCrypt users use file containers.
  - 65% of Tails+VeraCrypt users use partitions.
  - 65% of Tails+VeraCrypt users use hidden volumes.
  - 42% of Tails+VeraCrypt users use keyfiles.
  - 55% of Tails+VeraCrypt users have legacy TrueCrypt volumes.
  - 85% of Tails+VeraCrypt users mostly don't use the .TC or .HC file
    extension.

- Technical knowledge of Tails users:

  - Tails is still quite complicated for Windows users but not *that*
    hard either.
  - A majority of our user base is "*basic*".