Re: [Tails-dev] Support meek in Tails

Author: intrigeri
To: iry
CC: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Support meek in Tails
Hi iry!

iry:
> I am curious about why meek is not available in Tails.

For those following from home, since you asked, the status has been
clarified there:

https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8243

> I am asking this because meek is really important from at least two
> aspects

> Second, a coming feature that allows users to get Tor Bridges from Tor
> launcher/anon-connection-wizard relies on it.

Right. I *think* we have this on our radar, and possibly even on our
roadmap (https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/14555 perhaps).
I'll check once I get online.

I don't know what's the timeline on the Tor side of things though.
I believe sajolida is following closely the development of Tor
Launcher upstream in this area. sajolida, when can we expect this to
land in a Tor Browser alpha releases? And stable? It would help if our
developers knew when they can start working on this, and when they
should be done.

> isis said in the tickets
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/15967:

>> This API won’t be publicly accessible though, it’ll be reachable
>> through the API for #22871, and even then it’s only reachable
>> through a special meek reflector as part of #16650.
>>
>> Is anon-connection-wizard what Tails uses now? I’d be happy to
>> support Tails as well (but I’d strongly prefer the connection to
>> go through the meek reflector).

> I am wondering if this is a problem can be solved by sticking to
> Tor-launcher without switching to anon-connection-wizard?

(Disclaimer: being offline right now, I didn't look at the
tickets yet.)

I'm wondering too! From my (not very knowledgeable) perspective
I don't understand what this has to do with anon-connection-wizard vs.
Tor Launcher. If you believe the tickets make this clear, fine (I'll
read them later). Otherwise, please enlighten me :)