Re: [Tails-dev] [report] Reproducible Builds World Summit #3

Author: Chris Lamb
To: intrigeri, tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [report] Reproducible Builds World Summit #3
Hi intrigeri,

> Attendees were pretty excited about the fact it now seems
> doable to build reproducible system images (disclaimer: we're *not*
> the first ones, another Debian Live system did it before).

I think we can be far more charitible to Tails here… The one you are
alluding to "cheats" by having an already-constructed Debian
filesystem that is stored in a Git repository, rather than something
built from the ground-up from debootstrap or similar.

Thus, they are not running any postinst scripts during the image
build and thus the problem is vastly reduced.

I am not aware of another Debian-related image that is reproducible
which actually starts from scratch.

> our plan is to start boasting publicly about "Tails is reproducible"
> in 6 days.

I was not aware of that. Woo!

Best wishes,

--