[Tails-l10n] (discuss)[de] Translation of "Tor Bridges"

Author: spriver
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: [Tails-l10n] (discuss)[de] Translation of "Tor Bridges"
Hi,

tl;dr: Let's use "Tor-Bridges" as translation for "Tor Bridges" as it
looks better, is less clumsy and thus can be read more easily.

(please notice that I implemented my proposal in [0] aka translation of
wiki/src/doc/first_steps/startup_options.de.po for the first time. If we
decide otherwise, my changes addressing the following proposal have to
be changed back to the current state)

while translating the startup options page into German I stumbled over
the term “Tor bridge” resp. “Tor bridges”again (I think we had some
discussion about this someday, but I cannot remember it exactly anymore
as it’s maybe ~3 years ago from now). While I like the term in English
(from an orthographic, naming and “optical” perspective; and it being
used as a stand-alone term), it feels super clumsy for me in our German
translation (currently we’re using “Tor bridges” in our translations, we
handle it as the two word composition would be a specific name and term
where the second part is starting in lower-case, which is not a problem
at all, speaking from a theoretical and grammatical perspective).

The Tails Greeter is using the term “Tor-Brücken” since it has been
redesigned and released in 3.0 for the first time. I googled the term
“Tor-Brücke” et al. and could not find it being used frequently (besides
that, I don’t know if “Brücke” is a good translation for “Bridge” in the
context of Tor resp. Tails as it also can be translated into “Steg”,
“Überbrückung” or “Überleitung”. Maybe my proposal should be also
adapted in the Tails Greeter once we decided something). Nevertheless, I
found the term “Tor-Bridges” being used on the German Wikipedia page of
Tor and I have to admit that I like this variant of spelling it and thus
implemented it in the translation I mentioned earlier in this mail.

There are several benefits by using the term “Tor-Bridges”. It appears
as a single word, has no weird lowercase-letter in the second part of
the term and is used on Wikipedia [1] and in German news [2]. IMHO it’s
okay to use uppercase on the second part of the term, as it’s an own
term and thus can be used like a brand or name with uppercases. We can
keep using the term “Bridges” as we’re doing it when we want a shorter
variant and mentioned “Tor Bridges” earlier in the text so the reader
knows the context of Tor in mind when reading the word “Bridges”.

Does any of German translators (afaik it’s only the two of muri [many ❤
and thanks for his classy and outstanding reviews, work, etc.] and me
atm. I’d be super happy to see more, but the other ones haven’t been
contributing for a while..but maybe they’ve (and other contributors with
German skills) got some opinions wrt. this) have any objection, opinion,
bashing wrt. my proposal? (: Let me hear it!

If we decide to use my proposal I'd implement the needed changes
successively while translating content.c

Cheers!
spriver

[0] https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-l10n/2017-November/005038.html
[1] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(Netzwerk)