Re: [Tails-ux] Draft survey on VeraCrypt usage

Author: sajolida
To: segfault, Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Draft survey on VeraCrypt usage
segfault:
> Looks great!

Thanks!

> A few things:
>
> Re: "Which operating system other than Tails do you use the most?"
> I would add an "Other" option to the question, or else people using
> other OSes might feel left out.

Other OSes like what? BSD and such? Chrome OS?
I bet these would be as few as "Other Linux" so I'm replacing "Other
Linux" with an open "Other" field. See attachment.

I will still keep "Debian & Ubuntu" separate because:

- I suspect it would still be the third most popular family of OSes.
- We tend to treat Debian & Ubuntu a bit differently (cf. Installation)
so I'm curious about having general stats on this outside of the scope
of the VeraCrypt survey :)

> I wonder why I don't get asked if I encrypt my entire system if I choose
> any other OS than Windows. Does TC/VC support this only on Windows?

That's what I understood, both reading
https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/System%20Encryption.html and searching a bit
online.

But maybe I missed something...

> I don't think the questions will tell us *why* and *how* people are
> using keyfiles, which you added as research questions. But I don't think
> this matters much, so I don't care if you add something for this.

Yeah! That's what I thought as well.

Another option would be to add an option email field so we can contact
back some people if we want more info. But that's probably overkill.

> I don't see how the survey will allow us to answer the research
> questions "Do people share files between Tails and their regular
> operating system? Why? How?"

I drop this question from the research plan actually. I thought that
what's most interesting is how they exchange file with other people, and
I also thought that they could anyway use the same strategy to exchange
file with their regular operating system.

I was also afraid of having two open-ended questions that look quite
similar and abstract and bother people too much (whenever I answer
surveys, I always find the open ended questions the most annoying!).

> and "Can we rely on file containers having
> a .tc or .hc extension?". Maybe I missed something?

I have a question "Does the name of your file containers include the .TC
or .HC extension?" but it only appears if you say that you use file
containers in the question "What kind of VeraCrypt (or TrueCrypt)
volumes are you using?". Maybe you missed that.