Re: [Tails-ux] Questions for VeraCrypt user research

Autore: sajolida
To: segfault, Tails user experience & user interface design, anonym
Oggetto: Re: [Tails-ux] Questions for VeraCrypt user research
segfault:
> sajolida:
>> [...]
>> Scope:
>>
>> - Which fraction of VeraCrypt volume are encrypted file containers?
>> encrypted partitions?
>> - Are people encrypting their full operating system with VeraCrypt?
>> - Which fraction of users are using hidden volumes?
>> - Which fraction of users are using keyfiles? Why? How?
>
> - Which fraction of users are using the old TrueCrypt format? (those
> can be used in VeraCrypt by checking the "TrueCrypt mode" checkbox)

Yeap. I'll add this!

>> Behaviors:
>>
>> - Do people share files between Tails and their regular operating
>> system? Why? How?
>
> Why is this relevant? If you want to find out the use cases for TC/VC, I
> would definitely add "Do people share files (via removable media) with
> other people who don't use Tails?".

Right, I think that both can be relevant: sharing files between Tails
and other operating systems, both for the same person and with other people.

Let's say your are a video journalist and use Tails only for publishing,
but you stick to your beloved macOS for editing because it's so much
better for you. How do you move your files from macOS to Tails? Do you
open your hard drive in Tails? Do you use unencrypted USB sticks? Do you
use some other tool that we don't know about? Do you push your files
somewhere encrypted online?

These questions are more open-ended but could tell us more about the
habits of people who integrate Tails in their ecosystem.

>> - Can we rely on file containers having a .tc or .hc extension?
>>
>> Anything else I'm missing? Any question that is badly framed?
>
> I would also like to get some data on how important it is to get the
> TC/VC functionality integrated into GNOME Files in addition to GNOME
> Disks. I'm afraid it will be hard to convince upstream to integrate
> something which will have false positives and could confuse users into
> the heavily used file manager. If we get some data on this, we can
> better assess how important it is to get this integrated into GNOME
> Files and maybe also use this as an argument in the discussions with
> upstream.
> To get some data for this, we could ask whether people using TC/VC
> already know and use GNOME Disks.

Yeap. I'll add this.

I updated the research plan based the feedback of the two of you
(thanks!) and pushed it to the cleaned up blueprint:

http://tails.boum.org/blueprint/veracrypt

and a113b01b0b

Today and tomorrow I'll work on transforming these into a survey and
test it with a few people next week.